No matter what event you choose, it's important to be well prepared for race day.
Our popular training programme returns for 2017!
Where: Garioch Sports Centre, Inverurie
When: 1830, Mondays and Thursdays
How long: 10 weeks from Monday 9 January – Thursday 16 March
Who: All abilities, including beginners, aged 16
How much: £40 for 10 week block
Booking is now open and must be made in person at GSC reception.
Got questions? Come along to the Information Night at 1930 on Thursday, 5 January at the GSC.
There are several classes available at the Sports Centre to support your running training. These include Spinning, BodyPump, BodyBalance, Kettlebells, Boxercise, Metafit and BodyAttack. Please ask for a timetable at Reception.
There is also a state-of-the-art training gym at the Sports Centre, which includes:
If you are interested in using our gym and have not done so before, please ask at reception, or telephone 01467 626141 to book an induction with one of our trainers.
1) Build up your running slowly and steadily, increasing your distance by no more than 12% per week.
2) Get into a routine – it will make training much easier. Write your training programme into a calendar or diary and try to stick to it as much as possible.
3) Increase the length of run before thinking about increasing the pace.
4) Try other activities to supplement your running such as swimming, cycling, walking and exercise classes etc.
5) Listen to your body. Don’t train if you feel lethargic or tired. Let your body recharge its batteries. Everyone needs a rest from time to time.
6) Don’t train through injury or illness as it may set you back for weeks or months. Seek medical advice.
7) Don’t run in old worn out shoes, as it will increase the risk of injury. Seek guidance on correct fitting and type of trainers.
8) Try to eat something within a 1⁄2 hour of running, as this will refuel the muscles with carbohydrate.
9) In the last week before a 10K, decrease the amount of running to allow the body to recover.
10) If possible try to run in different places with someone else to help keep you motivated. Most of all ENJOY YOUR TRAINING.